energy-water-nexus

[energy-water-nexus] Energy Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Climate Project St

To: energy-water-nexus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Disbrow, Jim" <Jim.Disbrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:01:14 -0500

Case Study for Ontology Summit 2010

Building an Ontology

Energy-Water Nexus vis-a-vis the Climate

Status Report  - February 16, 2010

Much is happening on each of the different aspects of this project.

The first question that always pops up is: What do you want me to do?

Right now, the answer is simple:

1)    Learners / students and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) can begin entering their questions into Column 1 of a spreadsheet.

2)    Answers go into Column 4 (if known)

Project  Management:

In Project Management style, this project has subcomponents that are functionally linked, following an entangled schedule. One way to approach this is from a Matrix management perspective, aligning skills with tools and schedules. But first, let’s construct our Input-Output Matrix.

Input: A question

Black box:

Output: An answer

Input Questions:

Just as this project was being conceived, DOE Island in a Virtual World (Second Life = SL) opened its doors in a beta mode. Energy Ant, the host of DOE’s Energy Kids Page, is now a bot avatar, positioned close where SL avatars enter the DOE Career Center. He answers questions through a current version of a highly evolved AI engine. To the best of my knowledge, I have received all the requisite permissions to build my knowledge into this engine via a Q&A style spreadsheet.  I’d like to allow Energy Ant to learn answers to questions (from on-line SMEs) - something mentioned in the AI engine’s documentation, but I have not received an answer on this option.

These questions are envisioned as the inputs. I have requested that these questions be harvested from the bot’s files, so the answers can be constructed offline, assuming a parallel path for injecting knowledge into a dumb bot. If someone has experience with AI tools, please let me know and help us get this part functioning.

The plan is: enter these natural language questions into column 1 of a simple spreadsheet (answers are in column 4), build incrementally into a master file, then run this concatenated spreadsheet through an AIML generator to create the AIML driver file. The details on this process are unfolding.

The approach is simple:

1)    Learners / students and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) can begin entering their questions into Column 1 of a spreadsheet.

2)    Answers go into Column 4 (if known)

We may need to copy and paste these into the Energy Ant bot - one at a time. I’m not sure yet how we will pass the answers into the bot, but I read that this is doable two ways. One way is to allow each authorized person to enter questions and their answers. Another way is to enter the answer in another column on a spreadsheet. I don’t know the extent of the capabilities of the AI bot - such as, can it handle Riemann/Vector notation for questions and answers? can it handle reflexive questions correctly? can it build out a robust set of nested/iterative sub-niches? does it learn how to be deductive correctly? does it learn how to be inductive? does it learn how to be abductive? Can it input questions and automatically arrange them into a structure of knowledge that can be output for verification?

A suggestion was made to use a topic map generator to convert the pipeline model into an ontology. The associations between the nodes/bubbles on a pipeline model are tricky to represent, but topic maps seem to be able to handle these. Going with this suggestion to use a Topic Map, I found only one open-source package for building topic maps. I downloaded and unzipped it. A problem: I am composing this status report on a MacBook, and I don’t know how to get their open source software to run on this platform. I am investigating whether this can be put on the PC in my office, on a Linux server, etc. If someone has experience with any appropriate tool, please let me know and help us get this part functioning.

Depending on a few factors, the AIML file (mentioned above) could also become an Input into the Ontology builder. Exactly how? well, that still remains to be seen, but the knowledge organization tool would need to be based on the same tool used to create the relationships between the different pieces of the Pipeline Model (which is represented by the Physical Fuel Cycle graphic). If someone has experience with specifying and implementing pipeline modeling, please let me know and help us get this part functioning. The current graphic was created with Adobe CS4 as a pds file with vectors and layers; if anyone knows of an add-on to Photoshop that would output a useable Topic Map file, please let me know.

Output Options and Ontology Verification:

There is a tool that (we have asked for) that does metrics on Ontologies. After a version of the ontology is constructed, we should be able to run this tool to measure the ontology’s functionality. I imagine this to be an iterative process. Building inputs to this through the free version of TopBraid has been suggested, and an open-source version of both the tool and TopBraid are enroute. The source (the company that pointed this tool out to us) has offered a non-zero (but very limited) hand in bringing this to functionality. If someone wants to lend a hand on this, please get involved.

Separate Inputs: Taxonomies of energy terms, water terms and climate terms need to be input and built out into a single ontology. There exist glossaries with these terms. What do not exist are the mechanisms for describing the relationships between the terms. Starting both from the top (i.e., the Enterprise Architecture Glossary in cim3) and the bottom (i.e., a data dictionary), and working the middle ground (i.e., the various versions of glossaries available in the Department of Energy, Dept. of Interior, etc), we need to establish the relationships that will drive the answers to the questions posed to Energy Ant.

Two paths are being pursued in building the ontology: the manual path and an automated path.

Note: At any point that someone wants to contribute to this effort in a way not being described, please feel free to interrupt the structure being described and insert changes, or insert new or more detailed directions, etc.

For example, someone familiar with Common Logic might offer to reconstruct each question into 1st Order Logic syntax. I’ve had no experience in coding into 1st Order Logic syntax, can read it with difficulty, and would prefer a tool that automates the conversion from natural language to another syntax, such a CL.

Personally, I’d prefer 3rd Order Logic, with Operators (linguistic and mathematical, reflexive and not, with disabled copula-bound structures, with something-like-RDF-triples’ keys) attached functionally to the highest /deepest nth-Order Logic level - but where is there any open-source tool for this? If someone has experience with this kind of tool, please let me know and help us get this part functioning.

Back to the manual path:

The notion is to create a strand of knowledge that is responsive to questions all along the strand. Each strand needs to be built manually. A file of bread-crumbs from energy-oriented, water-oriented and climate-oriented web encyclopedias would make fine starting points, too.

Automated Path

The notion is to create a strand of knowledge that is responsive to questions all along the strand. Each strand needs to be built with links between the various developmental levels for each subject matter. If there is an ontology-building tool that supports this build, please let me know and help us get this part functioning.

Thanks and have a good day,

Jim Disbrow

Jim.disbrow@xxxxxxxxxxx

202-586-1868