bsp-forum

[bsp-forum] Building and Ontology

To: "Building Service Performance (BSP) Forum" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Michelle Raymond" <michellearaymond@xxxxxxxxx>, "Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT)" <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxx>, "Rex Brooks" <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:15:14 -0500
Hi All -

Copied below is an interesting response from someone on the w3 semantic web and linked open data lists.

Basically someone was wishing for a subject matter atlas, I pointed them to UMBEL, then he responded with a long impossible list of tasks and existing problems. I responded that he needed to start "in the middle" and smaller, for example the tiny dictionary of fire features. The person below is a third person after that but sounds interesting, especially see the link to building an ontology.

Deb

*************************************

I am working in a related area, focusing on quality assurance in the
building and construction industries in Australia and New Zealand.

We currently have a (non semantic) web application which is used to define
the criteria to verify that the work being done at the building site
complies with the building code(s) and standards. The application enables
 on site checking using mobile phones and PDAs.

Two lessons that we have learnt are:

1. If the building code(s) and standards were published as Linked Data it
would be a lot easier to link to them directly rather than duplicating
information within our own system.
2. From the projects we have undertaken so we have built up a collection
of common Inspection and Test Plans which define the criteria for
verifying common tasks. We are in the process of making this collection of
common Inspection and Test Plans available as Linked Data. There is a
related blog article  at
http://blog.3kbo.com/2008/06/15/constructing-an-ontology/.

I am interested in knowing more about the work being done with the fire
codes, building codes and sustainable development and the possibility of
linking to these from our Inspection and Test Plans.

Deborah are you able to send a link to the prospectus or a request form
for it?

Cheers,

Richard Hancock

Deborah L. MacPherson CSI CCS, AIA
Projects Director, Accuracy&Aesthetics
Specifications and Research, WDG Architecture