bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] BIM and O&M

To: "'Brodt, William (HQ-LD030)'" <wbrodt@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ontolog Building Systems Performance group (bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'James Bryce Clark' <jamie.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Deke Smith' <deke@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT)" <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:23:31 -0400

oBIX is just a standards committee, not an organization like MIMOSA. oBIX endorsing buildingSmart is like TCP/IP endorsing buildingSmart. Having said that, clearly buildingSmart is an _expression_ of the values that caused me to get involved with oBIX.

I had a long conversation with Alan Johnston last Wednesday night on MIMOSA members who might want to participate in the ONTOLOG BSP Project.

Here is the skinny version:

-          Building systems are there to provide services. These services are business services such as “happy customers”, “alert office workers”, or “regulatory compliance for pharma storage”

-          These services can be identified very early in the process because they are tied to business uses of the space:  “Retail Space”, “Office Space”, “Pharmacy”. This ties to a key buildingSmart value “Make decisions early with effective owner involvement”

-          One could define performance metrics for these services if we could define these services.

-          One could gather data and develop heuristics to enhance energy modeling based upon the service expected.

-          With performance metrics and expected energy, we now have a more interesting design/bid conversation. “I want to achieve a .87 or better Healthy Office Building index at $n.nn / sf”

-          One of the Master System Integrators tasks would be to collect the underlying NV tag information and express it as the performance metric.

-          A self commissioning building can report its operations in terms of the metric, providing a key understandable component of a building dashboard.

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina